Friday 17 March 2017

Heybridge Basin

I started by taking a walk along the Chelmer & Blackwater Canal. The canal gates at Heybridge Basin are being repaired at the moment, I have taken a few shots of the work. 




Heybridge Basin Locks are under repair. Essex & Suffolk Water, in conjunction with Essex Waterways, are replacing the steel sea lock gate & upstream timber mitre gate at Heybridge Basin. The lock is at the end of Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation, running from Chelmsford through to Heybridge Basin where it meets the Chelmer estuary and the sea. Full details can be found Here.






I first took photos of the boat the Ranger back in June 2012. I remember talking to the owner he told me that he had brought her down from Scotland with the intention of turning her into a houseboat. Sometime towards September 2015 she was involved with a fire which according to the local news papers has dashed the owner’s hopes. It is so sad to see this man’s dreams in ruins I hope he can find a way of resurrecting this project.

See my blogs dated 30th June 2012 (soon after she had arrived and was in tact) & 20th December 2015.



This boat called the Telegraph has been moored for sometime on the other side of the river next to Maldon I have taken a number of shots of her there & they can be seen in my earlier blogs. She is listed in the National Historic Ships UK as being a Boston Smack built 1906, trawler, available for excursions.


Lady of Avenel, whilst I was on my walk I met a young man working painting this craft, he is getting her ready for the coming season. He allowed me to go aboard and take a few shots. It would be great to take a trip sometime & get some shots of her under sail. He tells me that she will soon start her season by sailing to Scotland where she will be charted for sailing holidays in that part of the world.

From her website she is a 102ft Brigantine square rigger. With 12 guest berths, the Lady of Avenel provides an exciting platform for adventure sailing. The full details can be found here.








 I have also converted these shots into Black & White which I think is a bit more in keeping with this craft.





© Lionel Callow 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment